As early as 1869, Eugène-Lèon Ropp applied for a patent on making tobacco pipes made of cherry wood. Mostly similar to the models we now know as "Cherrywood". Producing over the years at various locations in France, these pipes became a success both at home and abroad. In 1917 also began the production of briar pipes, but the focus remained on the cherry wood smoking pipes. In 1991 the company was closed, after which it was taken over by Chapuis-Comoy in 1994.